Newscast Technician – Full TimeAugust 11, 2022
News EditorAugust 11, 2022
A highly motivated Newscast Director to lead the Waterman News team. This full-time position requires a detail-oriented leader with excellent communication skills, someone with a strong technical television news background who functions well under the pressures of a live news environment. Must be goal drive to produce high-quality newscasts. This individual must be willing to work flexible hours including mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must be available during breaking news situations as an essential employee.
- Work closely with producers and other station staff to prepare and direct or assist with directing all live and pre-recorded shows. Shows include but are not limited to daily newscasts, breaking news cut-ins, sports specials, election coverage, OTT, and community service programs.
- Manage assigned tasks in a dynamic newsroom environment while demonstrating the ability to multi-task as well as the ability to handle change in a timely manner.
- Assist in training our Director Trainees and Newscast Technicians
- Ability to Call and Punch newscasts if neededPerform other duties as needed and directed by your manager.
Specific Job Tasks:
Direct Live Newscast – 75%
- Prepare show rundowns. Continually review rundown and scripts for updates
- Pre-record reporter or anchor standups before live broadcast as requested
- Pre-record all news preproduction before live broadcasts as requested
- Execute live news broadcast with the highest of quality in mind
- Pre-record news and promotion topicals in between newscasts
Operate Studio Gear – 15%
- Run studio camera for both live and non-live events
- Operate audio board for both live and non-live events
- Operate character generator for both live and non-live events
- Create graphic art for both live and non-live events
Supervising – 10%
- Communicating effectively with the Senior Director and Shift Supervisors
- Communicating effectively as a team leader with newscast producers
- Communicating effectively with the technical crew leading them through live programming
- Training technical crew
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and ability to use video switchers, audio equipment, studio cameras, computer graphics, video editing, lighting and set/studio maintenance.
- Ability to clearly give direction to crew while under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, delegate and manage many projects simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to learn new technology as needs arise.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills in English
- Attention to detail
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
Education and Experience:
- Proven experience leading a team
- Proficiency in all newscast technician responsibilities
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in live production preferred
- HS Diploma preferred
Working Hours and Conditions:
- General office environment with occasional outdoor work in both good and bad weather
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines.
- Must be willing and able to work different shifts or longer shifts due to “breaking news” and severe weather emergencies.
- Must be willing and able to work weekends and holidays.
- Must have the ability to be punctual.
- Materials and equipment used: video switchers, audio equipment, studio cameras, teleprompter, chyon, various other television production equipment, and occasionally use power and hand tools (drill, saw, hammer, screwdriver, etc.).
- Receive, process, and maintain information through oral and/or written communication effectively.
- Substantial physical movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Ability to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction with good eye and hand coordination
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, kneel and/or stoop.
- Lift, move, and carry up to 50 pounds on occasion.
- Be able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
Pay Rate: $15-17 / hr
Waterman Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.