Account ExecutiveSeptember 20, 2022
Executive ProducerDecember 21, 2022
A skilled leader who manages all parts of the ABC7 news product & brand. This is a hands-on leadership position – beyond serving as an EP of a singular newscast.
The News Manager is a news visionary who knows good TV, creating new and innovative news presentation techniques and content for the station’s product.
Must be open to recruiting entry level and early career producers and teaching them the ropes. Functioning well under the pressures of a live news environment is critical.
Is expected to have good journalism competencies and adhere to the ethics and expectations of our newsroom and Waterman Broadcasting.
The News Manager reports to the News Director.
- Direct supervision of multiple daily newscasts, content selection, staff direction, mentorship and training for ABC7.
- Implements a daily digital strategy on each day part while supervising a team of reporters, photographers, producers & talent.
- Collaborates with producers, field crews, reporters, anchors, and other managers to select stories for coverage.
- Oversees and edits writing for all platforms, including stories, newscast teasers, headlines and social posts. Reviews broadcast stories, ensuring accuracy and journalistic balance.
- Ensures newscasts are consumer-focused and properly organized. Seeks insight from ratings trends and acts upon that data and other research.
- Monitors all products on all platforms in compliance with federal, state and local laws as well as the First Amendment, and trains staff to do the same.
- Supervise ABC7 News Staff
- Communicate effectively with team of reporters, photographers, producers.
- Communicate effectively as a team leader with other news managers.
- Communicate effectively with the technical team.
- Oversee daily news content, all special project execution and scheduling.
- Mentor staff for growth within the Company.
- Ability to resolve conflict effectively — with a solution-focused approach.
- Lead by example
- Recruitment efforts for new staff
- Review performance of current staff